So how do you secure your perfect pad when 20 others are taking application forms at the open?
- Sell yourself. We don’t mean literally, but figuratively speaking. Make sure a prospective landlord knows you’ll be a great tenant. Get references from previous rental properties so a property manager feels confident recommending you as a dream tenant.
- Sell your fur baby. Again, we don’t mean literally. But we know it can be hard to find pet friendly accommodation so make sure you have references for your pooch – and even include a pic – to win over your prospective landlord.
- Wake up and smell the coffee. If you can’t find the perfect pad in your perfect burb with the perfect price tag then it’s possible what you’re looking for doesn’t exist. Renters, just like buyers, need to set realistic expectations about what their budget will get them.
- Money talks. This tip won’t work for everyone but if you have some wriggle room in your budget and you must have that property then offering an extra $5 or $10 a week might give you an advantage over the competition for a popular pad.
- Make yourself known. Get out and talk to local agents about the type of property you want and why they should rent to you. They might know of properties about to hit the market so you can get in ahead of the competition.
Looking to put a roof over your head? Check our listings for rent.
Looking to put a head under your roof? Talk to us about landlording.